In 1992, the two siblings, Kallie and Antonis Papantonis, founded the winery that bares the same name, south of Argos. Its vineyard is in the PDO Nemea wine zone and was bought in 1979, by Antonis, who after a career in Greek and foreign businesses decided to work away from large cities, near nature, related to vine and wine. So, after he acquired wine experiences, he built, together with his sister, a marketing director, Papantonis winery (today Kallie has left the business).
The goal of the winery was and remains to focus only on two Greek varietals (Agiorgitiko and Roditis) and an international one (Chardonnay). Therefore it produces only two dry wines (PDO Nemea and a white Roditis-Chardonnay wine) and a sweet one, made of Agiorgitiko, with the ancient Greek name “Lysimelis” (that which can make your limps numb). The names of the dry wines are also ancient Greek: “Meden Agan” (meaning “nothing in excess”) and “Metron Ariston” (“moderation is best”). The privately owned vineyards of Papantonis winery are near the winery, on slopes, at an average altitude of 320 meters.
- Why it’s worth visitingBecause Papantonis winery is one of the most characteristic examples of a small (boutique) and mainly austere, where the beauty of simplicity prevails. Moreover, because in Papantonis winery great importance is placed on history and whoever loves antiquity can learn many things from this restless in relation to this subject winery.
- Open days/ hoursΟpen for visits throughout the year, upon request, 09:00-15:00, except for Sundays.
- Tour languagesGreek, English
- Tasting roomThe tasting room in Papantonis winery is fully equipped and can serve up to 20 people at the same time.
- TourOf the winery and tasting room.
- Tour duration30-60 minutes
- Number of wines tasted2
- Tour cost7 Euros per person (together with local cheeses, delicatessen, olives and savoury pastries).
- Wine shopPapantonis winery does not have a special wine shop. However, it sells wines (with a discount of around 30% on market prices). Special packaging for the wines and their delivery within and outside Greece are provided.
- Credit cardYes
- Accesible by people with disabilitiesNo
- Free Wi FiNo
- Children receptionPapantonis winery does not offer anything special for children reception.
- Annual production30.000 bottles of wine annually.
- Οrganic productionYes
- Green practicesNo
- Label number3
- PDO winesPDO Nemea
- By winespelop_admin
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org