The wine memories of the family date much back in time and faintly paint a farm and many vineyards. No one however remembers the beginning of this vineyard which is definitely one of the two largest privately-owned ones in PDO Nemea wine zone (more than 30 hectares, most of which are planted with Agiorgitiko, in different parts of Nemea, at an altitude of up to 420 meters, which are cultivated with a system of integrated management)… It sounds a bit like a fairytale but that is the truth about Palivou Estate, which has a large family history in the vineyard of Nemea.
What is certain, however, is that the family’s winery entered the modern era in 1995, when its equipment began to be modernized and it was established in the Greek wine world. In the second decade of the 21st century Palivou Estate changed generation, when the two dynamic daughters of George Palivos were old enough so that, after the appropriate studies, they could dynamically enter all the stages of the business. From the vineyard to… social networking, through the production of the wine itself, off course. All this next to their proud father who continues fiercely, experimenting on organic, even biodynamic viticulture.
- Why it’s worth visitingBecause Palivou Estate is one of the most hospitable and “warm” Greek wineries. A wine space in which the famous Greek hospitality and Xenios Zeus are confirmed and become flesh and bones, pleasing every wine tourist (it would be an oversight not to mention the tasty meals for as many as 20 people which are offered here, including food made by the wine-producer’s wife). Also because Palivou Estate is only 800 meters from the impressive archaeological site of Nemea, while it has a little stone church among the vineyards, a corner of traditional objects and old agricultural tools (old manually operated vertical wine press, plough), a reception hall in its cellar etc.
- Style and sizePalivou Estate is a family winery of average size.
- Open days/ hoursOpen for visits throughout the year, daily 09:00-17:00.
- Tour languagesGreek, English, French, German
- Tasting roomThe tasting room in Palivou Estate is fully equipped and can serve 50 or more people at the same time.
- TourOf the winery, cellar, tasting room.
- Tour duration60-90 minutes
- Number of wines tastedUp to 11, accompanied by delicatessen, cheeses and bread.
- Tour costFree for Greeks, upon request for foreign visitors.
- Wine shopPalivou Estate has a special wine shop (which offers a discount compared to market prices) in which traditional pasta, organic vinegar of local production, family produced honey, traditional spoon sweets and jams, tsipouro and ouzo, wine accessories, tahini, olive oil and aromatic herbs are sold. Special packaging is provided for wines.
- Credit cardYes
- Accesible by people with disabilitiesYes
- Free Wi FiYes
- Children receptionPalivou Estate offers a playground while juice is provided during the wine tasting.
- Annual production250.000 wine bottles annually.
- Οrganic productionYes
- Green practicesNo
- Label number11
- PDO winesPDO Nemea
- By winespelop_admin
- Email: email@example.com